Thursday, July 14, 2011

Where Did Wednesday Go?


 A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.  (Aesop)

Good intentions on posting last night; but late night at church, tired when I got home, yada yada yada.  So I think the best thing is to be one day behind and post what I did today--on the next day or is it the day before?  I'm confused.  Anyway today I will put what I did yesterday--which is I mean was Wednesday!

I did three miles at the track--no not running but walking.  It was hot & humid; 6:30 in the morning and already it was 80 degrees.  


I like the quote at the top; I have a friend that will not eat if things are hectic around her.  She will wrap it up and save it for when things are calm....so she can enjoy it.  I'm trying to develop a new mindset of actually slowing down and paying attention to what I eat...and enjoy it.  It's hard; we are so programmed to rush in our society.

Breakfast:                     banana bread & juice
                                     sandwich thin w/cheese, tomato, & canadian bacon & juice

(I eat in shifts usually in the morning--will eat a little at first--then work out--then eat again)

Lunch:                         tossed salad: lettuce, spinach, green peppers, 1/2 avacado, feta cheese, tomato,
                                    lowfat buttermilk dressing

Dinner:                        two slices of veggie pizza

Snack:                         three choc. chip cookies
                                    popcorn

I didn't enter it yesterday for calories---problem with dinner because I really wasn't hungry.  But we had church that night and if I didn't eat it would be late when I got home.  So I ate in order to not eat later that night.  Reminds me of Alexander's Pope poem about doing evil for the sake of good!

Our self-control often fails because it deals with being mindless or unaware of our behavior.  We react without thinking and do not press pause to become aware of our behavior.  Awareness and self-examination are critical in living a good life.  But self-control also fails when we depend on our own willpower to make the right choices.  Self-control that is dependent on human strength to get us through the moment is undependable.

Paul said, "What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise." (Romans 7:15-20)  Sound familiar?  I find it comforting that I am not alone in this struggle.  The fact is, this struggle with willpower is universal.  The fix is to tap into a strength source bigger than ourselves in order to allow self-control to operate effectively.  

Attaining self-control over our appetites has little to do with willpower and everything to do with a power greater than ourselves.  (Dr. Linda Mintle, PHD) 

To eat or not to eat?  What do you do when you are faced with eating now to avoid being hungry later?

No comments:

Post a Comment